This recipe is very versatile…you can make healthy breakfast muffins, or not quite so healthy dessert muffins. But either way they are nummy, nummy, nummy! Of course I made both kinds, (several times) just to make sure I got the recipe exactly right. Then a few more times to be absolutely sure I wasn’t sharing a recipe that was no good. Then I found myself digging through the bananas at the store to find more over ripe bananas, cause waiting for bananas to get a little over ripe just takes to long!! Did I mention these muffins are good?….really good!
Start by mixing together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt, and set it aside.
In a separate bowl smash the bananas then add honey, butter, egg, and milk. Stir well and then pour into dry ingredients and stir until moist, then fold in chocolate chips.
Fill sprayed cupcake tins or you can use cupcake liners about 1/2 full and bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
Author: Queen Of The Red Doublewide
- 2 cups whole wheat flour or all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup butter or coconut oil melted
- 3 over ripe bananas smashed
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk, any kind you like
- ½ cup of chocolate chips or more if you like, or you could leave them out if you want a sugar free muffin. 🙂
- In a mixing bowl stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate bowl smash the bananas and add honey, melted butter, egg, and milk. Stir well and pour into the dry ingredients. Stir until combined then fold in chocolate chips. Put cupcake liners in a cupcake tin or spray the tin with cooking spray. Fill each tin half full with batter and bake at 375 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Makes 14 muffins
Note: If you’re like me and like to cook with stevia, just substitute 3 tsp. spoonable stevia for the honey and add an extra 1/4 cup of milk and a half cup of plain yogurt. Don’t use cup cake liners; they will stick. I sprayed the cupcake tins with Pam and they came out just fine.
I made these this morning with whole wheat, coconut oil, rice milk and didn’t add any chocolate chips. They were a wonderful HEALTHY breakfast!
They taste even better warm from the oven with “Honey Whipped Cream Cheese” smeared all over them!